Hair coloring or hair dyeing is all about basic chemistry and the reactions which take place between the pigments in your hair, the pigments in the dye, peroxide, and ammonia. Some people may face problems through regular hair coloring and it may also lead to severe health issues.
Here is a list of issues related to hair coloring which you need to consider before applying color on your hair.
1. Hair coloring may lead to over processing.
Permanent hair colors have ammonia content and peroxide. Ammonia breaks in your hair shaft and peroxide bleach out the natural pigment from your hair, stripping down the color. This process of relaxing hair cuticles to reach the cortex of your hair and bleach its natural color may lead to hair damage. Overtreating your hair with such harmful chemicals will cause it to lose its luster, become fragile, and also in some cases wash away along with water. The only remedy which can treat the damage of over-processed hair is to cut away all the hair.
2. Hair coloring may lead to allergic reactions.
Hair dyes may sometimes lead to allergic reactions as they contain paraphenylenediamine which is a common allergen. People who suffer from contact dermatitis are commonly prone to reactions due to PPD and other chemicals in the dyes. Also, people with skin problems like eczema and psoriasis should stay away from using hair colors. In milder terms, the hair colors can cause itching, skin irritation, redness, and swelling on your scalp or sensitive areas such as face and neck.
3. Hair coloring may affect fertility.
Lead acetate is a common ingredient in almost all the permanent hair dyes. Research has put forth that there probable link between this chemical and fertility issues in men.
4. Hair coloring needs high maintenance.
Although this is not a side effect, still it can bother a few people. You will have to buy the products that are suitable for colored hair. Also, some styles need regular touch-ups and extra care. Post color process, your hair might also become vulnerable and also lead to hair damage.
5. Hair coloring may cause discomfort.
When the chemicals from your hair dyes come in contact with your eyes, it can cause severe inflammation and also discomfort.
6. Hair coloring may lead to asthma.
Hair dyes increase asthma as there are persulfates present in them. Continuous inhalation of those chemicals might lead to coughing, wheezing, lung inflammation, asthma attacks and so on.
7. Hair coloring may also lead to cancer.
Hair dyes were found having some carcinogenic compounds, that is cancer causing elements in them. Some scientific research and studies also establish that there is a definite correlation between the use of permanent hair dye and cancer.
Precautions to Be Taken While Using Permanent Dyes
- Try to avoid using permanent hair color and use the semi and demi-permanent hair colors. These colors are temporary and do not contain harmful chemicals like in the permanent hair colors.
- Conduct a patch and strand test before applying the dye on your hair. The patch test will help in avoiding the possible allergic reaction and determine whether your hair is healthy.
- Hire a professional to color your hair as they cannot g wrong and if they do, they might also have a recovery plan with them.
- Always color your hair in a well-lit and well-ventilated area. Poor ventilation can cause eye and nasal irritation.
- Do your research while choosing the products from trusted brands. Even if they cause some extra money, go for the ones which are apt for you.
- Opt or the natural hair dyeing alternatives rather than choosing the chemical permanent hair dyeing options.
Do you know about one amazing way to get perfect hair? Using hair replacements! At Owakai, you will get a number of fashionable wigs which are completely customizable and come in different colors, and textures. For more details, check out our amazing collection and choose the one which you suits your style and choice the most.
These wigs are non-surgical, drop proof and thus look completely natural and authentic. One cannot recognize the difference in your real hair and the hair replacement only as long as you tell them yourself. So get these amazing wigs home and sport a new and fashionable look every time you step out!